Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The gifts and the Gift Giver...

I am writing this blog entry wearing earplugs and shooting muffs. With the computer in the most traveled room in the house, it is hard to concentrate. The longer I tried to think of a grand theological thesis to make you say, “Man Tim is really able to hear God,” the harder it was to shut out all the goings on of the house. Yes, I was coming along with a great message on “responding to problems not reacting to them.” But the harder I tried to expand upon the topic the more difficult it became. Even now in one room a lonely keyboard is playing “Another day in Paradise”on a continues loop, in another room one girl is playing “run around the room like a crazy person” and the other is drying her hair. The only thing that would make it complete is if Mollie (our newfoundland dog) was nudging my arm wanting attention. Life has a way of bringing focus to our feeble minds. We strive so hard to express the greatness of God that we miss out on the little things that make it all real. Sometimes I put so much into making every word correct in one of these blogs that I make myself crazy. Maybe I need to run around the room a little?

We minister in a body of believers with many talents. Some you can see and others that only come out when no one is looking. Each gift is given so that we can minister to God and the body. From time to time we fall into the trap of seeking to please the body more than God. Whether it is purposeful or not. We all want to know that what we are doing is being appreciated. That we are making a difference, changing lives, or the way people think. Understand that if you are able to function in the gifting that God has given you, there is no need to strive to please any other man. The reality is that our actions have little to do with the gift and a lot to do with the giver of the gift.

Well the house is quiet now, yet I am still wearing the plugs and muffs. I guess it wasn't the noise and commotion that was causing my lack of concentration. Maybe I just needed to quiet my head a little. P.S. I was the one who turned off the keyboard.

- Tim Ratcliff

No comments:

Post a Comment