Monday, December 14, 2009

THE FATHER’S SACRIFICE, OUR GIFT

Christmas time is here again. We have probably all been reminded that “Jesus is the Reason for the Season.” If not, consider yourself reminded. It can be a bit cliché to warn people not to get caught up in the commercial aspects of Christmas but cliché or not, it is important. Take a long honest moment and think about this one simple fact: God the Father had one Son and in an act of completely selfless love He sent Him to live among us. The Living Word became flesh and dwelt among us (John 1:14). He sent Jesus to live with the very people who killed Him.
I have a hard time fathoming this kind of love. I love my church family, my neighbors and friends, and I try to love the lost; however, I can’t imagine ever even considering sending one of my children to die for someone else. Think of the heart that our Heavenly Father displayed when Jesus was born. I have been meditating on the First Commandment (love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength). Fulfilling this command gets easier (maybe that’s not the right word). Finding the passion to love God this way becomes the desire of our heart when we understand that He loved us first.
This time of year is an excellent time to focus on the love God has for us. Spend some time thinking about the sacrifice our Father made, thank and praise Him for it. His sacrifice is our gift.


- John Spraker

No comments:

Post a Comment