Friday, October 23, 2009

Monetary Responsibility

Have you ever read this: “Woe to (alas) for you who are rich (abounding in material resources), for you already are receiving your consolation (the solace and sense of strengthening and cheer that come from prosperity) and have taken and enjoyed your comfort in full [having nothing left to be awarded you]. Woe to (alas for) you who are full now (completely filled, luxuriously gorged and satiated), for you shall hunger and suffer want! Woe to (alas for) you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep and wail.”? It’s in Luke 6:24-25. Jesus said it. Having traveled to one other country and studied many around the world, I know that compared to most of the world, almost all Americans fit into the “rich” category. Compared to some other U.S. citizens, I may not be rich, but the Bible is not written just to those in the USA. Not wanting to hear a, “Woe to you”, from Jesus, I began studying every scripture in God’s Word about material riches, wealth, etc. Here is a summary of what I have found:


+ Money gained honestly by doing something worthwhile is a blessing provided by God for our enjoyment. (1 Chronicles 29:12 and 1 Timothy 6:17-19)
+ Don’t let money tempt you to trust in your own wealth rather than in God or to shift your focus to it and away from God. (many scriptures throughout the Bible, too numerous to list)
+ Be content and satisfied even with nothing more than food and clothing. (1 Timothy 6:7-11)
+ Be self-sacrificing and spiritually mature by giving to the poor, doing good, being rich in good works, being generous of heart and ready to give to others. (1 Timothy 6:17-19, Mt. 19:21-24)
+ Do not glory in or be absorbed by the world and over use the riches, physical gratifications, temporal satisfactions, and earthly pleasures of this life. (Jeremiah 9:23, 1 Corinthians 7:31)
+ Be cautious because riches can choke and suffocate the Word so that it bears no fruit. (Matthew 13:22)

Finally, here’s a list of questions that I used to examine my own life in this area. Perhaps it will help the reader as well.


1. In what ways does God want me to enjoy what He has blessed me with?
2. In what ways do I trust too much in money rather than in God?
3. How can I show that I’m content with food and clothing?
4. Are there areas where I am absorbed by the pleasures of this world – physical gratifications and temporal satisfactions?
5. Are riches suffocating God’s Word in any area of my life and preventing me from bearing fruit?
6. How can I be more self-sacrificing, generous of heart and ready to give to the poor and share with others?

“The love of money is a root of all evils…but as for you, O man of God, flee from all these things; aim at and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, and gentleness of heart. Fight the good fight of the faith…” (1 Timothy 6:10-12).

-Jenny Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment