Monday, June 1, 2009

Being Content...

For the past 2 months, the Royal Rangers and Missionettes have been promoting a “contest” with our kids on learning things that are foundational and key to our faith. The contest has not been a competition with each other, but rather with themselves. Our goal was to have these kids begin to search out scripture, to learn it (not just memorize) and then to apply it to their daily lives. We have seen a tremendous change in the lives of some of the boys and girls since this started because they have a new found thirst for the Truth. Those of us in leadership have challenged ourselves to learn the scriptures and to really think about their meaning and how they apply to our daily lives.

The one scripture that has stuck out to me has been Philippians 4: 11-13. “I’m not saying this because I’m in any need. I’ve learned to be content in whatever situation I’m in. I know how to live in poverty or prosperity. No matter what the situation, I’ve learned the secret to how to live when I’m full or when I’m hungry, when I have too much or when I have too little. I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me.”

Many people just focus on the verse 13, which states we can do ALL THINGS through Christ who strengthens us. This is very true, but many people use it as a motivational chant to get themselves fired up to accomplish tasks that pull them out of their comfort zone both physically and spiritually. It is used as a foundation to pull themselves out of “where I am” to “where I want to be”. It is used to motivate ourselves to do the very hard or the near impossible. When we succeed, the glory goes to Christ (most of the time) and when we do not, we begin to doubt our own faith, our own standing with Christ, or we doubt the scripture.

It is important that we read all three verses together so that we come to a complete understanding. The key to this is to be content with our situation. Not content with debt or being over weight or with living in sin, but to be content that God is in control. Christ gives us the strength to endure the trials and tribulations of this life. We must learn to be content, or at peace, with ourselves and our lives so that we can focus on the Word and allow the Holy Spirit to teach us what we need to know and what changes we are to make in our daily lives. No matter where you are today, be thankful that you are serving a loving and merciful God. Be aware that His Word still is true today. Make time today to thank God for what you have and seek Him out for his plans and purpose for you.

Jeremiah 29:11 states “I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord. They are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a future filled with hope.”

No comments:

Post a Comment