Thursday, April 2, 2009

See It Through...


Acts 20:24 “But I don't place any value on my own life. I want to finish the race I'm running. I want to carry out the mission I received from the Lord Jesus-the mission of testifying to the Good News of God's kindness.


Over the last year all eyes have been on America with the election and the economic crunch that we as a nation have found ourselves in. While politicians point fingers and the “world” worries themselves sick, the church should be focused on Christ with great joy in our hearts because those who talk often with the Lord know that He is coming soon for His bride (Revelation 4:1).


As Americans, we were worthy stewards of this nation with a willingness to see it through first and foremost with Jesus Christ, and then our ministries, marriages, families, jobs, mortgages, car payments, etc. Oh, but how far we have gone in the wrong direction since the first immigrants left everything behind to freely worship God. America now wants to give up on anything that poses as a challenge.


During Desert Storm I risked my life for this country in a war that I did not fully understand. I saw quite a few of my fellow soldiers, my friends, get injured or die because of landmines and yet I felt that what we were doing was the right thing. That was because I would look at the Kurdish children whose parents had been killed or the ones who had been abused and we were their protection. But then in July, 1991 we packed up and headed down the main road in Dahook, Iraq with dozens of those Kurdish children running after the convoy with tears rolling down their faces. I knew America did not see things through.

At that time I was saved but very immature in Christ and on that day my sadness encouraged me to ask a question within myself: what is true freedom? Of course there is no true freedom without Jesus Christ. John 8:34-46 says, “Jesus responded, ‘I assure you everyone who commits sin is a slave of sin. A slave does not remain in the household forever. Therefore if the Son sets you free, you really will be free!’”


Of all the authors of the Old and New Testaments, Paul speaks most often about freedom. Christ, he says, brings freedom from sin, (Romans 6:18-22), and freedom from death, (Romans 7:24-25). Second Corinthians 3:17 says, “Now the Lord is the Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” Therefore anything that kills our spirit is not freedom and is not of the Lord. Freedom doesn’t come through a country, a flag or a president. Even though a citizen can choose certain paths for himself he is not necessarily free. Jesus Christ is our example of freedom! Thank God that He saw it through and by His blood afforded every man and woman the opportunity for true freedom.


In Luke 22:42 Jesus prays in the garden and says, “Father, if it is your will, take this cup of suffering away from me. However, your will must be done, not mine." In my opinion, that is one of the most powerful sentences ever spoken. Here is Jesus in the garden, praying, knowing what is about to take place and He is willing to see it through for not only our sake but for the perfect will of God! Oh how glorious it would be if the American people would say, “Not my will, Lord, but yours be done!” But generations of Godless men and women have abandoned the truth for many lies. The children have not learned to fear God, value relationships or live a life of virtue.


Everyone has an individual God given purpose in life. If we seek to find it, God is more than willing to reveal it by calling us to it. It is in that purpose where we find the most peace, joy and contentment because it is a place God chose specifically for each of us. It is in this place where, through faith and grace, we will be able to see it through.


-Blake Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment