Sunday, March 8, 2009

COUNTING THE COST . . .
Some years ago, a good friend of mine made a comment to me that really grabbed my attention. He said that I was too involved in our church and that I should not make any more commitments or be involved in any more ministries. Now, knowing my friend, I am sure that there was no malice intended. In fact, it was probably more out of concern that I seem to always be busy. Either way, it began to bother me. Later that night, I started thinking about why I was so involved in ministry work and should I, perhaps, cut back a little?
I went back to Luke 14:25-35 and began to study what Jesus really meant about counting the cost of being a disciple. Jesus basically said that we must be willing to abandon our fathers, mothers, wives, children, brothers and sisters . . . even our own lives! This must be done in order to be a disciple. The truth is that Jesus did not want us to literally turn our back on our families. What he meant was that we must choose to prioritize our lives. The work of the kingdom of God should come first, then family, and then those things which define our lives, such as employee, coach, friend, workout fiend, TV watcher, or anything else that takes up our time.
Before I truly gave my life to the Lord some 12 years ago, I was saved and had been baptized as a boy. I would go to church on occasion but never really commit myself to anything more than a Sunday Service or an occasional Homecoming meal. I had other things to do. I was a married man with two small boys. I was working two jobs in order to make ends meet. I coached soccer teams seemingly year round. I had my hobbies and I loved to watch a lot of TV. I was comfortable. I was not necessarily happy or content, but I believed I was being a good citizen.
Then, I was approached by a member of our church and asked if I could help with a boy’s ministry called Royal Rangers. I never will forget reading the material and talking with him about camping, hiking, canoeing and other outdoor activities. I would laugh inside because I was not an outdoors kind of guy. Then the Lord really got a hold of my spirit. I remember thinking . . . AM I MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN HIS KINGDOM? The answer, frankly, was no.
In Luke 14:28-30, Jesus spoke, asking his disciples “Suppose you want to build a tower. You would first sit down and figure out what it costs. Then you would see if you have enough money to finish it.” Have we really taken the time to sit down and count the cost? What is the cost to the kingdom if we choose 4 hours of TV over 4 hours of ministry per week? What is the cost when we choose the internet over intimacy with God? What is the cost when our families see us choose what we want over what God wants? Jesus says that those who do not count the cost will fail to lay the foundation and will not be able to finish the job. We all have a plan and purpose in God’s kingdom. Have we really counted the cost of what we must sacrifice so that we can truly serve Jesus, who gave His life for us?
My encouragement to you is to make that time, today, even now, and evaluate where you are spending your time and talent. Count the cost so that you are confident that you are where God wants you to be in His kingdom. Count the cost so that you know that you are fulfilling His plan and purpose for your life. Don’t be afraid to lay down those things that seem important or that take our focus off of what you have been called to do. It is important in these last days that we spend our time wisely, doing the work that Christ has commissioned us to do. In the end, the cost we pay now will be worth what reward we will receive in heaven. If nothing else, to hear Him say “Well done.”

-Pastor Chris Blackburn

No comments:

Post a Comment