Thursday, May 13, 2010

Divine Design...

It’s been a real blessing to have a Dad as gifted with wood working as my Dad and over the years I’ve benefited greatly from his talent. Such as every pine wood derby, an event held by the boy scouts, the scout was to whittle away at a block of wood until it took the shape of a car, then race for all honor and glory at an annual race. My fellow competitors always assumed my car was some model we had simply bought and assembled, you could hear murmurs of “they bought that car” or some such rumor to discount my Dad’s gift. Though nearly every year, we came away with the best in show trophy, notice how I still say we, when in all realty I had very little to do with the whole process. The role I did play every year was picking out the style of car I wanted my Dad to construct, I did this by perusing one of the many encyclopedias of automobiles we had laying around the house.

Any craftsman prior to starting their craft has a picture of what it is they’re making. The design, which includes the intended function, is already in mind prior to the first stroke of the brush, or the first cut of the knife. So it is with God when He designed mankind and if we are to ever function properly we must understand what that purpose is. We get a good glimpse of this when we see the first commandment, (Mat 22:37,38) Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. God’s ultimate purpose for humanity was to be family to Him, He is not content with just causing the mandatory obedience that will ultimately occur. (Phil. 2:9-11) Instead His desire is we love Him in the same way He loves us. So He empowers us to love Him this way, (Rom 5:5) And hope does not make us ashamed, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit given to us. The result of loving Him in this way is we function as He intended, it is impossible to love Jesus and not love people.

(Joh 14:21) He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me. And he who loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will reveal Myself to him. This is simple stating a fact, if you love me then the result is you will keep my commandments. The challenge for us, to insure we are properly working is to continually realign our lives and priorities to make the first commandment first in priority.

-Pastor Ted Farmer

No comments:

Post a Comment