Thursday, April 15, 2010

Are you sure you are on the right path? Need guidance?

Recently, I was looking at my daughter who entered her teenage years this past year and it made me think back on my own middle school years. It was a time of trying to figure out who you are and where you are going. No longer at the age that your parents are continually holding your hand, telling you what to wear and wiping your nose. It is a time of emotional ups and downs. Friends are changing; decisions that have to be made are becoming more difficult.

It was this time in my life where I started to search. If there is a God what does he want of me and what does he expect of me? Is he just someone I read about or does he truly know me? During this search I was blessed to get saved, got involved in a spiritually active church that helped me grow in Christ. I started to since that there was even more for me. God had a plan. Not only a plan but he sent his Spirit to help me! Let’s look at some scripture and see what it says about the Holy Spirit:

Who gives us the Spirit and who can receive it?

Luke 11:13 (NIV)If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Acts 2:38 (NIV) Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Why do I need the Spirit?

John 14:26 (NIV)But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 16:13 (NIV) But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

2 Corinthians 3:6 (NIV) He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Galatians 5:22-24 (NIV) 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control.

God gives us some instructions.

1 John 4:1 (NIV) Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Through life’s ups and downs, as an adult or child we must know that our heavenly Father has sent us something to help us along the way and that is His Holy Spirit. I praise God for His Spirit that has been a counselor, life giver, truth teller, and has given me love, joy, peace, patients, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Even though sometimes we stumble these gifts are always waiting for me.

- Carolyn Hanneman

No comments:

Post a Comment