Thursday, May 7, 2009

True Dependence...

Dependence is a strange thing. As a baby I was totally dependent upon my parents. When I cried out, they knew exactly what I needed. Through my childhood, I never thought of what I was going to eat or wear, it was always provided before I asked. Even through my early adult life, I leaned upon my parents a lot. Relying on them came natural. As a baby I had no choice, but as I grew, I still felt like I needed them. Now I have children of my own that rely totally upon me. They may not have everything they want, but everything they need will be provided. As a father that is my job, I am their provider.

I have a heavenly Father who is just as eager to provide for me. Yet, a lot of times, I do not allow Him to. Even though He tells me in His word that He will provide all my needs according to His riches and glory, I still don't put my trust in Him. He promises to give me everything I need for life and godliness, yet I seek out my own way. Why is it so hard to become dependent upon a Holy God, to let go of what I think is best?

Let me tell you the story of a ninety year old patient of mine. She is legally blind, lives alone in a large farm house in the middle of Bland. She rarely has company that stays any length of time. Helplessly, she spends her time thinking or watching the dim figures on her television. On my last visit she told me of a time in her life that she wanted so desperately die. Sick and miserable, she cried out to God, “God, with you everything is possible and I am nothing without You.” Repeating this phrase aloud over and over in an empty room, she felt God. In her darkest moment she had the greatest revelation. God is everything, and she is nothing without Him. Simple, yet the last thing I would have thought to say. That is true dependence and trust. Just as a baby crying for his mother's embrace, she cried out to her heavenly Father. True Dependence! Simple Dependence.


-Tim Ratcliff

No comments:

Post a Comment